KAM Snaps 101
How Do I Attach, or Install, KAM Plastic Snaps?
I get asked this question frequently. The question is usually always followed by, "Sorry for the dumb question, I am new to snaps.". Let me start by saying, this is not a dumb question and there is no need to apologize for not know how to use them. I love helping people and empowering them with knowledge they can apply to their own projects and maybe later pass along to others with the very same question. If you are ever unsure how something works, or do not understand something, never hesitate to ask! We are here to help you with all your questions.
Installing plastic KAM snaps is very easy, and becomes easier the longer you use them. What once took a little skill to make sure installed properly can now be done with myeyese closed.
The following instructions is a step-by-step on installing plastic KAM snaps.
- Use an awl (sharp poker tool) to first create a hole in the fabrics.
- This prevents rips from occuring in the fabric due to stress.
- Insert the cap's prong (protruding part) into the hole you just created using the awl.
- Place the socket (female part / inverted piece) hole, or stud (male part / protruding part) hole, around the protruding prong.
- Use snap pliers, or snap press, to flatten the prong into place. This will creat a barrier over the socket/stud hole to secure the two pieces in place.
- NOTE: It is important to properly flatten the prong or the two pieces will separate from each other immediately or over time. Prongs that have not been properly flattened can also cause problems with closure, especially after washing and drying since heat can cause expansion. (see image below for the correct and incorrect flattening)
- You can use KAM snap pliers to install snaps.
- Or, you can use a KAM snap press to install snaps.
- When using a KAM snap press, be sure the rubber part of the die bulges to ensure proper installation.
- There should be a "click" noise as you snap and unsnap.